Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Burgers

Pin It Now!
Hi, my name is Staci.  I'm addicted to Pinterest.

There, I said it.  No denying it now, it's out there for the world to see.  Sigh...I wish I could say that it's a horrible addiction, but its totally not.  I love the things I've found on that website.  Everything from food to teaching ideas.  And thankfully, I found this awesome recipe on there as well.

We are trying to detox our bodies of the mass amount of carbs we ate while in Italy, therefore, this "burger" is missing it's bun.  But, I didn't miss eating it.  These little burgers are fabulous and you get to enjoy the crunch of the panko and raw onion without some silly bread getting in the way.  (well, that's what I told myself)  

I altered the original recipe a bit (one was leaving out the bun) and created something the entire family loved.  The sweet potatoes we get here are not the bright orange kind...so I didn't get the deep color I was hoping for, didn't effect the taste though!  
We had leftovers and the next day I just threw a bit of oil in a skillet and browned them up a bit more, then popped them in the microwave to heat them all the way through.  They still had a nice, crispy outside.  
I've never been a big fan of raw onion, but somehow it tasted amazing on these burgers.  Nice thick slices of avocado and a drizzle of a sweet & spicy chili sauce topped it off perfectly.  We served them with a side of oven roasted cauliflower.  Filling, healthy, vegan....killer dinner.



Sweet Potato Burgers
(original recipe from http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com)

2 cans cannellini white beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 large sweet potatoes, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp mesquite flavored seasoning
1/4 cup flour
salt to taste if needed
Panko crumbs
safflower oil for pan

Toppings: avocado, onion, pepper, sweet & spicy chili sauce (or whatever else you want to pile on top!)

Directions:
Bake sweet potatoes, then peel and place in large mixing bowl.  (I just nuked mine in the microwave)
Toss in the beans and mix with the potatoes...mashing with a fork.
Next, mix in seasoning, flour and any additional seasonings. It's going to look and feel kind of soft and moist, but you can still put a nice patty together.
Heat 2 Tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
Pour some Panko into a shallow bowl.  Form a patty from mixture and coat in the Panko crumbs.  Press down to get the panko to stick.  Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled and then cook until browned on both sides.  Just be careful when flipping, these aren't going to be as firm as a regular beef patty...they are going to fall apart on you a bit.  ;)
Transfer cooked patties to paper towel and let them cool for a few minutes.
Add the toppings and dig in!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...