Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wild Rice w/Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Seeds

Pin It Now!
My mom had brought us some bags of rice when she met up with me in Italy.  (because all we have here is Basmati and Arborio- and without wine, Arborio just isn't the same)  Anyway, I thought the rice she brought me was black rice (I mean it looked black to me!)  So, I googled recipes for black rice.
Let me just say, there aren't many choices out there.  Guessing black rice is hard to find.  But, still, thinking I had black rice, I chose to make this dish.
I just happened to have purchased a pomegranate a few days before and then all I needed was the squash.  The recipe is from Cooking Light and the reviews were a bit mixed.  But, it was the best recipe I could find, so I went with it.
Turns out my rice was just wild rice (really good wild rice, though, from Trader Joes)  I had no idea what this was going to taste like...and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  The kids kinda liked it, they weren't jumping up and down or anything.  But the hubby gave the dish two thumbs up.  I kept with what a review said and served the dish warm.  Great weeknight meal that didn't take long to prepare.  Not to mention, extremely healthy and vegan!  :D



  • Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup black rice*
  • 1 pound butternut squash
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika*
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
  • Pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

  • Preparation
  • 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice, adjust heat to maintain a lively simmer, and cook until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
  • 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Peel and seed squash and cut into 1-in. cubes. In a large bowl, toss squash with paprika, salt, and 1 tbsp. oil. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool. Spread pecans on another baking sheet and toast until fragrant, stirring once, 6 to 8 minutes.
  • 3. Whisk together remaining 2 tbsp. oil, the lemon juice, maple syrup, and pepper in a serving bowl. Toss with reserved rice, roasted squash, green onions, and most of pecans and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and pomegranate seeds.
  • *Note:  I made double the recipe and had a bit of leftovers (but not a lot)
  • *Find black rice and smoked Spanish paprika at Whole Foods Market or other well-stocked grocery stores.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...